There's something about baking that helps soothe the soul... and the sweet tooth! It's been fun to experiment with some of my favorite recipes and teas to see what scrumptious delicacies I can create [insert chef's kiss here]. Since the flowers outside have been blooming like crazy, I decided to try out Apple Blossom, our floral green tea blend, with one of my favorite gluten-free, vegan cookie recipes. The result did not disappoint! These cookies are bursting with apple and floral flavors and spoiler alert, they are super addicting. I dare you to have just one!
- 2 1/3 cup gluten free flour (I used Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free 1 to 1 Baking flour)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup vegan butter
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp flaxseed meal + 2.5 tbsp water)
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 heaping tbsp of Apple Blossom green tea - Shop Apple Blossom Now
You'll also need:
- flour sifter
- ice cream scoop or any other large spoon
- mortar and pestle (if you don't have this you can use a large ziploc bag and rolling pin)
- baking sheets (I ended up using two)
- Make your flax egg and set aside.
- Put the Apple Blossom tea in mortar and pestle.* Crush tea until most of it is a fine powder. Set aside. *If using a ziploc and rolling pin: place Apple Blossom tea in bag and seal out all the air. Then roll until most of it is a fine powder.
- Mix gluten-free flour, salt, and baking soda in your baking bowl.
- Sift Apple Blossom powder into the dry ingredients. Save any of the larger pieces to use later for decoration. Whisk together.
- Cream together the vegan butter and sugar. You can use a hand whisk or an electric one. Mix in flax egg and maple syrup until combined.
- Gradually mix in dry ingredients. Mix until completely combined.
- Put dough in fridge for 4 hours or overnight.
- When the dough is ready, set your oven to 350°F and put parchment paper on your baking sheets.
- Using your ice cream scoop, fill spoon with dough, then flatten with your hands and place on baking sheet. Place cookies 4 inches apart. Repeat until sheets are full.
- Bake for 10 minutes and then let cool for 6-8 minutes (when doing gluten free and vegan baking you need to let the cookies completely cool so they can set).
- Once cooled, decorate with extra Apple Blossom tea leaves.